All women like to look fresh and beautiful and to do so we try to make use of best cosmetics products available. However, there are many that we want to buy but cannot afford them on regular basis, while there are many others which we feel are good for others but cause allergic reactions on our face. Cosmetics usually contain a lot of chemicals and one really needs to play wise while choosing them.
Using Homemade Products (Cosmetics) is also one of the options and there are many products which one can easily make at home. Lip balm and skin creams are two such products that can be created at home and that too in enough quantity and at reasonable price.
Lip Balm preparation – Ingredients and steps
For making a lip balm, one would need the following
- Beeswax – 1 part
- Carrier oil- 3 parts
- Essential oils
- Chop or grate beeswax.
- Put the grated beeswax on the top of double boiler along with carrier oils.
- Melt the ingredients over heated water.
- Once boiled, remove the mixture from heater and add essential oils.
- Put the hot mixture into lip balm containers.
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Put the cap on.
- Your lip balm is ready to be used.
Making lip balms at home using essential oils is a very easy and does not involve much of cost. One can easily make 8-9 lip balm tubes within $3. If you feel that the lip balms you have made is too soft then re-melt it and add more beeswax and on the other hand if you feel that it is too hard, then you need to melt it again and add some more carrier oil.
Skin Cream Preparation
One can make nourishing creams too by using organic carrier oils along with essential oils. For making such creams one would need the following:
- Carrier oil (Sweet almond oil or any other oil of choice)
- Essential oils – Lavender oil, myrrh, sandalwood, ylang ylang
- Vitamin E oil
- On the double boiler, place a glass jar with beeswax and carrier oil.
- Heat until beeswax gets dissolved.
- Mix 2 grams of borax in two ounces of distilled water and add the mixture to the glass jar.
- Stir the mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Once done, allow the mixture to cool.
- Add essential oils and Vitamin E oil.
Homemade cosmetics work best on skin; however, one must make sure to use them within three months of time as they have a tendency to get rancid easily.
Understanding Essential Oils
For making any cosmetic product using essential oils, it is important that you know the characteristics of these oils well. Essential oils differ from each other in aroma and have distinct characteristics. Using too mild essential oil would not bring out the fragrance well, and similarly making use of strong flavored oil can make your product not worth using. Here are some of the essential oils with their unique characteristics:
- Ginger oil – Warm and spicy, this oils make a perfect choice for winter blends and should be used in restricted amount.
- Cinnamon – It is very strong and spicy and must be used sparingly.
- Grapefruit – Grapefruit has a fresh and light fragrance. This oil makes a perfect choice for summer blends.
- Lime – Like grapefruit oil, it is fresh and uplifting with nice fragrance.
- Peppermint – Peppermint oil is cooling and refreshing but must be used sparingly as the oil is very strong.