We have always heard of making use of vinegar and baking soda for rubbing off the grease and most of us do not know that using essential oils in our cleaning regimen can make our homes look shinier and brighter.
Making use of these natural oils not only aid in cleaning but also leave a pleasant smell behind and are safe to use too. If you are wondering why you should make use of natural ingredients like herbal oils in your cleaning process, here are some of the benefits one can derive from these:
- Saves time – Making a natural cleaning kit at home does not involve much of time and is easy too. One can easily make a cleaning spray by mixing right amount of essential oil with vinegar and water in just few seconds.
- Economical – Cleaning solutions available in market these days are quite expensive. A bottle of toilet or floor cleaner easily costs up to $ 4. Making a natural cleaner at home is less expensive and can be used for a longer time too.
- Saves space – Most of the families make use of at least one or two cabinets for stocking commercial cleaners. Floor cleaners, furniture cleaners, toilet cleaners and what not… Using natural cleaners, on the other hand, is a space saving technique as most of the cleaners are multipurpose. Using them regularly will help you save the space you normally use for stocking commercial cleaners.
Commonly Used Ingredients for Homemade Cleaning Recipes
If you are keen to make your own cleaning formula at home, then it is important to know about some of the commonly used natural ingredients. Listed below are some of them:
- Citrus seed extract – This is a natural preservative which is normally prepared from grapefruit seed. Citrus seed extract can be easily bought from a food store.
- Lemon juice – Lemon juice works wonderfully on stains and a bottle of lemon juice can be easily bought from a nearby departmental store. One can also extract the juice of lemon at home.
- Washing soda – Washing soda is also known as soda ash or sodium carbonate and is used as an active ingredient for making cleaning solutions.
- Essential oils – Essential oils provide a unique fragrance to a homemade natural cleaner and ensure bright and shiny results too. Some of the commonly used essential oils for cleaning purposes are rosemary, sweet orange, thyme, lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus etc.
Natural Cleaning Recipes
- Herbal Floor cleaner – To make a natural herbal cleaner, one need to mix 10 drops of thyme oil and ¼ cup of baking soda with two cups of hot water. Once mixed, the disinfectant can be stored in a bottle and used for mopping surfaces.
- Citrus dishwashing cleaner – This is a lemon fragrant dishwasher cleaner which leaves a nice smell in the dishes and makes them shiny and clean too. To make this solution, one needs to dilute liquid castile soap in water first. Once diluted, 20 drops of lemon essential oil are added along with 10 drops of sweet orange oil and 5 drops citrus seed extract. The solution can be stored in a bottle and used for cleaning dishes.